Letter from the Chair of the Board
BETHUNE UNITED CHURCH
BOARD REPORT 2012
As we look back on 2012, we realize that our accomplishments and challenges have been many. Along with the entire community, we at Bethune, have watched with excitement, interest and pride as our little church has undergone a physical transformation which will allow us to be totally accessible. Our excitement only grows as we begin a new year and anticipate the completion of our addition and all the possibilities for development and outreach that come with it.
During 2012, the Board, made up of the committees of Stewards and Elders along with other officers, members and adherents of the church met for the Annual General meeting on Feb. 1st, 2012 and held Quarterly meetings on April 4th and September 5, 2012.
As always, we kept very busy at Bethune during 2012. Some of our major events and highlights include the following...
· Pastor Sue continued to provide meaningful Sunday worship. She also prepared a joint Bethune/Knox service for Good Friday, a Sunrise Easter service and our annual Christmas Eve Service with a power point story of the Nativity with members from Bethune and Knox playing the various roles.
· During the summer months, Sue continued her outreach through the story telling sessions for the children at the library.
· In the spring, several members of the congregation attended an 'EDGE INITIATIVE' workshop in Gravenhurst.
· Bethune held another successful yard sale and bazaar in July
· Due to the success and popularity of the 2011 Black Fly Ball, we decided to make it an annual event. This year's Black Fly Ball was held on April 28th to everyone's delight.
· Bethune once again participated in the Baysville Walkabout by providing barbequed hotdogs and sausages for sale, raising money for the work of the church.
· On November 3, 2012 we held our second annual Hee Haw Hoedown Dinner/Dance with music provided by the Fernglen Fiddleheads.
· The U.C.W. hosted the annual Holly Berry Tea and Bazaar. The entire community looks forward to this wonderful event each year.
· We are thankful for Doris, Paul and Wendy's music leadership.
· Our church worked closely with the Anglican and Catholic churches to organize the three well-attended 'Family Feast' dinners for the community.
· On December 19, the Bethune carolers once again spread the spirit of Christmas while delivering gift bags throughout the village. Many thanks to Louise and Barb for their organization of this event.
· Many thanks for Bruce and Doug for providing poinsettias for distribution at the Christmas Eve service.
· The Board wishes to officially thank Bruce and Doug Thomas for their tireless support of our church. Bruce not only removes our snow but he has been our conscientious on-site project manager throughout most of 2012 ensuring that our best interests are respected.
· As well, the Board would like to express its appreciation to all those who have generously contributed their time, talent and treasure to continue the life of Bethune United Church in 2012.
Submitted by Richard Robinson, Chair of the Board